The 100-mile Coast Loop gravel grinder, like its big brother Coast to Coast, is a challenging, roller coaster ride on gravel (more packed dirt than gravel) and two-track roads (and a little pavement).
- Date: June 26, 2021 (Oct. 3, 2020 race canceled)
- Start and Finish: Stearns Park Beach, Ludington, MI
- Distance: 100 miles
- Support: Self-supported. A support crew can meet you at the official checkpoint if desired.You must have someone who can drive you back if you drop out.
We’ve teamed up with Matt Acker, co-course designer, who knows Michigan’s gravel roads and gravel racing better than anyone, to create a course you will be sure to love, highlighted by gravel and challenging, scenic seasonal roads. It covers an incredible 55-60 miles of Manistee National Forest gravel and two-tracks and shares the last 45 miles with the 210 miler.
After a fast, flat start out of Ludington, already at mile 20 you enter the Manistee National Forest and its forest service roads that set both Coast races apart from almost all other gravel grinders. Twisty, rolling, not so easy to get in a groove, but so much fun. At your checkpoint at Big M Rec Area you meet up with the 210 route, and then tackle a little gravel-friendly singletrack and beautiful Big M gravel roads. Once you climb out of the Little Manistee River drainage, it’s a general downhill trend to the finish back in Ludington. You’ve earned it.
100 miles is a major achievement. With a start and finish in Ludington, it’s a great option if you don’t have a support crew, aren’t ready for the 210, or want to race and then cheer on a friend or family member finishing their 210. Because the route both leaves and returns to Ludington, you’ll have about 7-9 miles of flat pavement at both the start and finish which will make the race more doable. Finish your race in one of the great outdoor towns in the country, Ludington, touching the waters of Lake Michigan and completing your amazing adventure. See the Route page for details.
I arrive at the finish a better person. – Rebecca Rusch, world champion mountain biker (and gravel road lover)
Ludington provides an ideal finish town with restaurants, breweries, lodging, an amazing state park and maybe the best sunset in the U.S. Some of you will be able to get home Saturday night, but staying in Ludington would be a well-deserved reward!
- 210: 320 out of 375, 85% (2018: 199 of 238, 84%)
- 100: 139 out of 152, 91% (2018: 124 of 135, 92%)
Friday, June 25, 2021
Lodging if needed.
Saturday, June 26
Check-in: Stearns Park Beach, Ludington, 7:00-8:30 am
Start Location: Stearns Park Beach, Ludington
Start Time: 9:00 am
Finish Location: Stearns Park Beach
Finish Cut-off: 9:00 pm (8 mph average speed)
Awards: 7:00 pm (tentative), Saturday, Stearns Park Beach (likely no longer on Sunday so you can head home Saturday if you wish).
- All racers registering a week or more before the race will receive a Coast to Coast water bottle and either the race shirt OR socks. Women’s cut/sizes available.
- All 100-mile finishers will receive a Salsa/C2C top/stem cap and a 100-mile sticker.
- Check out the finisher awards and top finisher prizes here.
Support & Aid
- The Coast Loop does not require a support vehicle but you must have a way to get back to the finish if you drop out.
- With a 2,000 foot detour, you can get water and purchase food in Dublin at approximately the halfway.
- You may meet a support crew at Big M if you wish but at no other point (unless you are withdrawing).
- Course directions are via gpx file (Garmin, Strava, etc.) and cue sheets under Routes. ALL riders must have at least cue sheets.
- There will NOT be signs on the course (except posts in the forest road sections). See the Route page for details.
Endurance is all about heart. — Bear Grylls
- Stearns Park Beach, Ludington (north side, enter from north)
- Touch Lake Michigan to start and finish your quest!
Lodging for Friday and/or Saturday (please let them know you are with race)
- Silver sponsor Ludington Pier House Motel. Great option if you want to be really close to the finish or would like a pool. Many rooms have views of Lake Michigan.
- Convenient, historic Stearns Hotel downtown.
- If above are booked, try the Holiday Inn, further east. Mention race for discount.
- Cartier Park Campground has sites for as low as $25/night, just 1 mile north of the start/finish.
- Extra logo or bear race shirt $15. Unisex/men’s crew or women’s scoop. Short-sleeved, 65% poly/35% cotton. Order online with registration to guarantee availability.
- Barrel/Moscow Mule mugs. Double walled. $15
- Jersey, bib, and cap available on BikeReg registration site through the Borah store in the spring. Open for a few weeks.
Open Facebook Page
Check out our Facebook page for more general ride communication from the organizers.
Closed Facebook Group
Forum to connect with other riders, seek support crew, transportation to/from the start, and to have questions answered from veteran endurance riders.
Consider using #micoasttocoast tag for photos, posts, and tweets on social media.