Paid Shuttle, Drop Bags & Rescue Service
We are teaming up with a fundraising team from the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) to offer a shuttle & support package for 210-mile racers that are not able to provide their own shuttle and rescue/support vehicle. You will leave your car at the finish at Ludington/Lake Michigan and be shuttled over to the start at Au Gres/Lake Huron the afternoon/evening before the race. All proceeds will go to JDRF.
We will also accept a limited number of riders who can get to Friday’s pre-race meeting and Saturday’s start at Au Gres/Lake Huron but need drop bag and rescue service. Reserve either service on BikeReg, when or after you register for the race.
Here’s what the full service will include:
- Shuttle Service from Ludington to Lake Huron Start
- Coach bus or van service from to the check-in on the east side at the Point Au Gres Marina and Campground.
- Please park in the small vehicle spaces south of the boat ramp and Loomis ST (1000 feet south of Stearns Park) in Ludington between 2:30 and 3:00 pm on Friday, day before race. Best input for Google Maps is: Stearns Dr & W Loomis St, Ludington, MI 49431. See map below.
- You will arrive at Point Au Gres Marina in time for check-in and then the 7:00 pm pre-race meeting (or we will do pre-race meeting virtually).
- Your bike will travel by box truck, snug tight but separated by heavy furniture packing blankets. We are not responsible for any damage to your bike but be assured we will treat them with care.
- Continuing bus service after the Friday check-in and pre-race meeting on to St. Mark’s church in Au Gres if you are not camping at the Pt. Au Gres campground. You must ride 4 miles to the start in the morning but we will go get your sleeping/camping gear and bring it to the finish line.
- The service will take your camp/sleep gear and a dry clothes bag to the finish line on Saturday.
- Ludington parking and shuttle meet-up:
- Drop Bags to Each Checkpoint
- You may provide up to four drop bags, including cooler items. We will provide tags so you can label each bag with your name and number and indicate which bag goes to which of the three checkpoints or finish. You’ll drop them off in the appropriate box Friday evening.
- We will also have a cooler for perishable nutrition. Please mark which check point and place in cooler. We will sort to smaller coolers that will be at each check point.
- Please use a small cinch, duffle or soft sided bag. No boxes or bins! Think squishy!
- Your bags will be dropped at a designated spot at the Gladwin, Marion and Big M checkpoints and a dry clothes bag will await you at the finish (along with your camping gear).
- At each checkpoint you will see a pop up tent with a JDRF banner. There will be a table with coolers of water and a container of Gatorade for your use. We will have your marked gear laid out on a tarp. We will have a cooler with your nutrition.
- The service will NOT include bike mechanical or other support besides water at the checkpoints; don’t be shy as many fellow riders or other support crews can lend a hand.
- We will have a tarp marked for camping gear collection on Saturday morning. Please mark your gear. It will be in Stearns Park at the end of the race.
- Rescue/Sweeper Vehicle
- We will have three vehicles on course between checkpoints including a sweeper. We will be keeping track of your locations as you reach each checkpoint.
- A van and bike trailer will be near the back of the field for those that drop out and need a ride back to Ludington.
- If you have a mechanics or need to drop out, you will be asked to contact Greg, but we also ask you to contact us so we can find you and pick you up.
- Keep in mind that, unlike your own rescue/support vehicle, you may have to wait quite a while to be picked up. In an emergency, call 911.
- The sweeper vehicle will collect bags left at each checkpoint and return them to the finish where your camping gear and a dry clothes bag will be.
- We will very likely get you your dry bag and camping gear to you before you finish. Your drop bags might arrive later in the evening so our recommendation is to not include any valuables in case you have to leave town before they arrive.
Experienced Team: This same JDRF team handles shuttle and support for the One Day Ride Across Michigan (ODRAM), our paved sibling ride so you will be in good hands. Your contacts are:
- Cindy- 616-835-1967
- Linda- 616-292-9664
Cost & Payment: $150 ($50 for drop bag/rescue service only). All profits go to JDRF. This is in addition to your entry fee. Order it under Purchase Event Items when you sign up for the race. If you’ve already signed up, simply go back into BikeReg and order it separately. It will link it to your BikeReg race registration provided you use your same email address (and name). It is fully refundable if you find a support crew or can’t do the race and alert us before registration ends June 24 (the race entry must be transferred to recoup costs; no money back on that).
Capacity: The service has room for 55+ racers and we will accept last minute orders through the day before the race if necessary.
We hope this allows a lot of racers to race who otherwise would not be able to or takes pressure off a friend or family member, especially if they are not comfortable driving for that long, especially at night.